Friday, September 2, 2011

Hieroglyphics on Pregnancy tests

I'll never forget the moment we found out our life would change. My wife, Lauren, called. She told me, despite having gotten her period the day before, that she already no longer had it. Not knowing anything about periods, or their correlation to pregnancy, I suggested a baby might be the culprit.  We laughed at the preposterousness of it. Lauren was on her way home from the pharmacy with an ovulation test, and a 2 pack pregnancy test. We sat and ate lunch together, which was a rare event in our busy dual-income life. She even couldn't make it through her meal. She grab the E. P. T. ran to the bathroom and did her best to aim.  I'm yelling from the kitchen table, things like, "Your belly is gonna get soooo big". "You're gonna go to pregnancy Yoga".
Meanwhile Lauren, impatiently reads the stick that's processing the information the urine's spilling. She says in a defeated and stubborn voice, "I'm not pregnant".
Battling my banter, "Yes you are".
She brings the stick down stairs hands it to me and all I see is a big fat negative line...
We've been trying for a couple of months now. The decision to go for it came suddenly. I'm pretty sure I told Lauren there was no way we would try this early in our marriage, then within 4 hours I said, "Alright, let's make a baby".
Lauren didn't bother to clarify if I was serious. She put me on a stiff routine of vitamins and sex. I never felt so used... or so happy for it.
Every month the period came, we fought, and the glimmer in mommy's and daddy's eye never converted itself. Some of my friends and family offered to step in. This included my dad, who wouldn't let me visit without questioning if I actually knew what sex was. And my brothers offered to explain the process pretty often. Lauren and I just kept on keeping on. (That part continued to be awesome).


Staring at the bold negative symbol on a stick I could feel the sense of defeat in the air. Part of me was excited to continue trying, but a lot of me was worried our bodies just couldn't complete the process. Then I see an extremely faint blue line running vertically, cross-sectioning the negative line, stabbing directly through it, making that line sorry it ever fooled us. Before I could get the words out, I looked at Lauren who said, "There’s a faint blue line, right?!?!" Attempting to respond I open my mouth, she says, "Like it's positive, right?!?"
Not being able to wait for her to finish thinking out loud, I yell, "I think your pregnant dude".
We begin furiously ripping through the packaging searching for directions for the pregnancy test trying to find out if it is in fact giving us the news we think.


Laurens calls the Doctor.
I leave the house, to go back to work, knowing full well that I just cannot handle that type of waiting.
Sitting in the office, with two of my buddies working with me, I can barely concentrate on a single thing. Lauren calls me.
The Doctor, who had just had the story of the faint line explained to her in detail says, "You're pregnant dude", (I'm not positive that that was a direct quote).
I could sense Lauren’s skepticism in her voice; she explained that after talking to the Doctor she took another test that came up Negative.
But me, I was oddly hopeful, I couldn't keep still. I hung up the phone, walked inside sat down, with a wall partition separating me from my friends. I'm biting my tongue to hold back my screams which would have rivaled that of preteen girls who just met Greysen Chance.

All Lauren and I could do was wait for the morning to come so we could take a test again.
And we waited... and waited.
The longest night of lives.
 
Lauren went to bed, and I followed shortly thereafter. I grabbed the remaining pregnancy tests and lined them up in the bathroom; sort of a shooting gallery for women. When the morning came, Lauren woke up, went straight to the bathroom. I quietly and patiently waited. I heard nothing but silence.
Silence continued.
And continued to continue...
Finally the bathroom door opens.  I hear Lauren’s footsteps pounding down the hallway.  She comes in the room takes a flying leap into the bed holding a stick in her hand.  I try to focus my groggy eyes on the little window; it says…

No comments:

Post a Comment